Kale and Adzuki Beans
This delicious, easy to make recipe is great as a side dish, or as a main dish served over short grain brown and wild rice.
- 1 cup uncooked adzuki beans (actually, any “red” bean can be used)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 6 cups roughly chopped kale
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place adzuki beans in a medium saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 30 to 45 minutes, until tender.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat, and saute garlic about 1 minute. Mix in kale and 2 tablespoons water. Season with tamari, cumin, and coriander. Thoroughly blend in adzuki beans. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer about 20 minutes, until kale is tender. Season with salt and pepper.